As crypto’s market cap pushes past $2 trillion and makes its way onto the balance sheet of many institutional investors and corporations, Hong Kong insurer OneDegree has announced a deal with Munich Re, one of the world’s largest reinsurers, to offer a new digital asset insurance product.
- OneInfinity, the digital asset insurance product, is targeted toward digital asset trading platforms, custodians, asset managers, and technology providers.
- Munich Re will provide reinsurance, described as «insurance on insurance companies,» that ensures an insurance company remains solvent even in the face of large payouts.
- Having insurance backed by reinsurance is the norm for major infrastructure providers of any asset class, but takes a particularly unique twist with crypto given the intensity of cyberattacks.
- OneDegree runs “risk-based analysis”, explained Becky Tam, the firm’s General Manager of digital assets, that covers everything from cyber security, and operations, to personnel management.
- “It’s just like how if you are a heavy smoker and drinker you will struggle to buy medical insurance,” she said. “Not everyone that comes to us can get insurance.”
- The company does not yet insure DeFi projects, but hopes to be able to soon after it studies the market more.